Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Is it just me? a semi autobiographical book by Miranda Hart

Today was my first day back at uni after the summer. I had a good few weeks off where I found out I passed my second year exams and so had the rest of the summer to relax and enjoy and just focus on doing things I enjoy. I don’t often get to pursue hobbies as free time is often non-existent while doing a medical course. I have friends that make time for the gym or football etc so I guess it’s not impossible. 

I decided to catch up on some reading. I love to read. I love sitting down to read with a nice hot mug of tea or hot chocolate or milo (a hot chocolate and malt drink mixed with milk which is common in Asia). Then I can just escape to another world for a good hour or so and be absorbed in the intricacies, excitement and mystery of another person’s problems, experiences and life. It’s a wonder why not everybody reads. I sometimes don’t have the patience for it and want to read it all quickly but when I find a good book I think about it while I’m out doing other things like shopping, showering or lying in bed trying to sleep. This summer I read Miranda Hart’s semi-autobiographical novel ‘is it just me?’ I found this an interesting label for the genre of the book: semi autobiographical. I have read autobiographies before. In essence an autobiography is a journey of one’s life and highlights specific events written in first hand. Nowadays however, autobiographies written by notable people are often written by ghost writers. I find this somewhat disappointing but can you really imagine Katie Price sitting at a study typing frantically late into the night before a deadline. Sadly I cannot. 

Anyway, back to my point, Miranda’s book is a quirky thing. It’s full of funny stories, jokes, situations, experiences and general observations all written in Miranda’s unique slapstick awkward, likeable comedy style. She writes of experiences her ‘character’ endures when it comes to work, dreams, fashion, music, sport etc. all of life’s little things. And I find that although most of it is a work of fiction, you can still draw something from it. I felt I could relate to her sense of trying to fit into this world and finding your place. I took this book on holiday with me to Malaysia. I found myself giggling out loud in public places and re reading extracts to friends and family. I felt she was reading to me. It was such a personal book. I thoroughly recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment